Under Counter Lighting
Under Counter Lighting: Why You Should Install One in Your Kitchen
Under counter lighting is one of the kitchen’s most essential types of lighting. It provides task lighting for preparing food and creates a warm and inviting atmosphere for gathering with family and friends. This blog post will explore why you should install under counter lighting in your kitchen.
What is under counter lighting?
Under counter lighting is a type of light fixture installed beneath kitchen counters and cabinets. It is available in various styles, including strip lights, puck lights, and recessed lights.
The benefits of installing under-counter lighting in your kitchen
Installing under counter lighting in your kitchen has many benefits. It can create a more inviting and comfortable space, make cooking and food preparation more manageable, and even help save on energy costs.
Under counter lighting can help brighten your kitchen and make it feel more welcoming. If you entertain guests often, this lighting can create a warm and inviting atmosphere for them. Under counter lighting can also make cooking and food preparation more accessible by providing better visibility. It is beneficial if your kitchen has dark cabinets or little natural light.
Under counter lighting is also more efficient than other types of lighting, so it can help to save on your energy bill. LED lights are the most efficient option and will last the longest, but they may be more expensive upfront. However, they will save you money since you will only have to replace them sometimes. CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) are another energy-saving option that is less expensive upfront but only lasts for a short time as LEDs.
Different types of under counter lighting
Under counter lighting can come in many different forms. The most common and popular type is LED strip lighting. This type of lighting is easy to install, very versatile, and provides an even distribution of light. Other types of under-counter lighting include Xenon and Fluorescent. Both types provide good task lighting, but they have different benefits. Xenon lights last longer and are more energy efficient than fluorescent lights.
Under counter lighting installation tips
If you’re looking to add extra light to your kitchen without spending much money, installing under-counter lighting is a great option. Here are a few tips to get started:
- Choose the right type of lighting. There are two main types of under-counter lighting: LED and Xenon. LED lights are more energy-efficient and last longer, but they can be more expensive. Xenon lights are less expensive but don’t last as long and aren’t as energy-efficient.
- Decide where you want to install the lights. Under counter lighting is typically installed underneath cabinets or shelves. You’ll need to measure the space before you purchase your lights so that you know how many you need and what size fixtures to buy.
- Install the fixtures. Once you have your fixtures, follow the instructions that come with them for installation. Most under counter lighting kits will come with everything you need for installation, including wire and hardware.
Pros and cons of under counter lighting
Under counter lighting can be a great way to add extra light to your kitchen counters, but there are also some potential drawbacks. Here are some of the pros and cons of under counter lighting:
- It can help add extra light to your kitchen counters
- It can help make your kitchen counters more visually appealing.
- Can you help improve the functionality of your kitchen counters
- It is more expensive than other types of lighting
- It can require more maintenance than other types of lighting
- It may not provide as much light as you want or need
Under counter lighting FAQs
- How do under counter lights work?
Under counter lights typically use LED bulbs, which are more energy efficient than other bulbs. The LEDs are mounted on a strip placed underneath the cabinets or shelves. A power supply provides power to the LEDs, and a controller to dim the lights or turn them off and on.
- Are there any drawbacks to under counter lighting?
One potential drawback of under counter lighting is that it can create a glare if the LEDs are not adequately shielded. Another potential issue is that the installation process can be complex. Hence, it is best to hire a professional considering this type of lighting for your home.
By now, you should have a good understanding of under counter lighting and why you should install one in your kitchen. If not, be sure to go back and reread the article. Under counter lighting is inexpensive to add function and style to your kitchen. Not only will it make your kitchen brighter, but it will also make it more inviting and enjoyable to spend time in. So, what are you waiting for? Go out and buy yourself an under counter light today!